Can Mineral Rights Be Transferred by Quitclaim Deed?

Yes, either a Quitclaim Deed or a Warranty Deed can be used to transfer the mineral rights held for a piece of property.

The Warranty Deed would be used only if the grantor (seller) wishes to warrant the condition of the ownership interest being transferred.

Carefully state what rights are being transferred in the Deed. But instead of writing “the property located at 123 Elm Street, Anytown, Anystate,” in the legal description of the property, state what mineral rights are being transferred and properly list the legal description.

If any rights are to be excluded or retained in the transfer, list those as well.

To easily create such a mineral rights transfer deed, see Standard Legal’s Quitclaim Deed legal software package.