If a Divorce Decree Awards Me My Home But a Quitclaim Was Not Filed, How Do I Clear Title if I Can’t Find My Ex?

Clearing title on a piece of real estate without a signature from one of the property’s owners is a fairly complex legal issue with many variables, including the application of state laws.

Possible solutions include:

– a quiet title action that seeks a court order transferring title to the property based on the divorce decree issued;

– relief through the domestic relations court that issued the decree, which may require service of the action by newspaper publication in order to reach his former spouse.

Regardless, the process will likely be complicated and Standard Legal recommends you seek and retain legal counsel to faciliatate the clearing of title. To help, you can find a qualified local attorney for FREE at Standard Legal’s Attorney Find page.