If My Sister Has Power of Attorney for My Unresponsive Father and She Won’t Deal with His Affairs, Can My Sister Sign Over Responsibility to Me?

If the maker of a Power of Attorney document (be it for health care or general management of business affairs) cannot consent to a change in the named Attorney-in-Fact, no other person has the authority or right to ‘transfer’ that responsibility to another, even another family member.

Read more

Can an LLC Assign Power of Attorney to a Non-Director or Non-Member to Handle Its Business Affairs?

A Limited Liability Company does have the legal authority to appoint an individual as “Attorney in Fact” using a Power of Attorney document.

But there are two organizational specifics that must be reviewed prior to making such a determination for the LLC.

Read more

If I Have Power of Attorney for My Parent, Can I Transfer the Family Home to Myself and My Siblings?

Most “general” Power of Attorney documents have a specific provision about transferring property contained within them, granting the attorney-in-fact the ability to undertake such a property transfer process.

But if the language about being able to transfer property is not stated specifically in the document (and different POAs are drafted differently), then the attorney-in-fact most likely lacks the authority to transfer property.

Read more